Monday 3 April 2017

A Big 'Thank You!'

From Alasdair Thornton:


My wife Rona says that only I would choose the morning of 1st April to fall off my bike and break my humerus - see story here.

However it does give me an opportunity to recognise the outstanding professional support shown to me by the Highland and Islands community and our hard pressed NHS. So, a big 'thank you' to the West Ardnamurchan First Responders, Jessie and Maggie; to the ambulance team from Strontian; and  to the team flown up by helicopter from Glasgow in case of a head injury.

Fortunately my helmet had served its purpose and my daughter was able to take me to the Belford in Fort William who quickly processed me and confirmed the fracture to my left arm.

A number of other thanks are also due, to the bus driver on Mull who cheerfully loaded both my bike and my daughter Lucy’s bike onto his bus in Calgary and took us back to Tobermory, and to the friends and well-wishers in Kilchoan who made sure our bikes came back to Cruachan.

We are now back safely back in Edinburgh waiting to find out if the bone will need to be pinned - hopefully not.

It was a very humbling but heart-warming experience despite my discomfort, and Lucy and I can’t thank you all enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment