Monday 28 April 2014

A Pretty Little Bird

Many thanks to Kilchoan Early Bird for these pictures of a pretty little bird which he found in one of his creels and which he describes as being about the size of a wren.

The Early Bird has a touching faith in the Diary when he adds, "I'm sure you'll know what it is."  I don't, except that I would hazard a guess that it's a warbler possibly a wood warbler.  But, having had both the emperor moth and the oak eggar caterpillar identified by comments today - for which many thanks - I'm sure someone can do better.

5 comments:

  1. Nice pics. I think it is a willow warbler.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It doesn't look green enough to be a wood warbler, it's almost certainly either a willow warbler or a chiffchaff who look identical so without hearing it sing it will have to be put down as a wee green job I'm afraid.
    Cheers Paul.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sherry Falconer Monson30 April 2014 at 11:55

    Whatever he is - he's awfully cute - but I think "A Wee Green Job" is a great name!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Barrie, The Saltings1 May 2014 at 13:29

    This also looks to me like a Willow Warbler. In the bottom picture you can just see the pale brown/orangey legs. Also the ear coverts (feather covering the ears!) are rathe rpale just below the eye (you can see this best where the bird is looking at the camera), and the bill has a yellowish-pink base.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Many thanks for the comments. I agree with the idea of calling birds after a visible characteristic, like 'wee green job'. Life would be so much easier. However, since we have the complexities, I very much appreciate having someone like Barrie to sort us out. Jon

    ReplyDelete