Sunday 17 June 2012

Wildflowers of Achnaha

We went for a walk to the north of Achnaha this morning, into an area we had never explored before, with the general idea that we would reach the north coast and find the gate in the Estate fence which leads from Achnaha land onto Estate land. As so happens with walks which have intentions, this one became something quite different - a study of the local wildflowers.

For over a month we've had hardly a spit of rain, and the ground underfoot crunches like well-done toast, yet plants like the Bog Asphodel, despite its name, are thriving.

The wild orchids, too, seem to be doing well.  This is one of the prettiest of the local species, the Fragrant Orchid, which has, for its size, a remarkably strong and pleasant scent - well worth getting your nose down to, even if it does look as if you're praying.  We've found them before, but not in the numbers we did today, and in a variety of shades of pink and purple.

The highlight of the walk was this, a Lesser Butterfly Orchid, with a wonderfully delicate flower.  It's a species we haven't found before.  This specimen was one of only three growing on the western slope of Meall Clach an Daraich.

The heather family are coming into flower, with plenty of Bell Heather (above) and Cross-leaved Heath, but little sign yet of Ling.  One thinks of heather as a plant that enjoys dampness, yet it seems to be doing well in the present climate.

There was so much more, but this tiny flower interested us because it was one of the few which did seem to be wilting from lack of water.  It's one of those unassertive plants, living almost buried in the undergrowth, and both difficult to photograph and to find in the wildflower books.  We think it's Heath Milkwort, which does have the characteristic of being bi-coloured.

A map of the area is here.

7 comments:

  1. Dave McFadzean Moniaive18 June 2012 at 08:47

    Hi Jon. Sorry to say it is not a really guid idea to give away locations of plant life as well as rare birds. Next time you visit some unscrupulous collector may have taken your blooms.

    Sad news down hear last week. Some eejit nicked the peregrine chicks from a local nest. I used tae cycle 15 miles, do a 2 hour watch on that particular nest, then cycle back home again. Mind you that was over 40 years ago. Sadly it looks like we may have to revive a 24 hour watch scheme yet again for that eyrie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dave -

      I am very sensitive to the point you make, but I'm not aware that any of these wildflowers are in any way endangered. The only one which is unusual is the lesser butterfly orchid, which the 'West Highland Flora' website describes as 'Widespread but not common'. From the numbers growing out here, all the others are doing well.

      Jon

      Delete
  2. Dave McFadzean Moniaive18 June 2012 at 14:53

    I really do get your point Jon but it is only as small step from widespread but not common to scarce and endangered. I tend to be a little less less location specific in my writings on flora and fauna.

    ReplyDelete
  3. IMHO Dave is quite right in his concerns.

    The lesser butterfly orchid is on the Scottish Natural Heritage 'Action List'. See: http://www.snh.gov.uk/protecting-scotlands-nature/species-action-framework/species-action-list/lb-orchid/

    As a general comment, those of us who love and value wildflowers HATE sheep even more than The Diary dislikes pigs.

    As I write, local sheep are trampling over/eating at least five varieties of orchid: heath spotted, northern marsh, fragrant, greater butterfly, small white ...

    Nothing I can do to stop this. Not my sheep. Heartbreaking, however..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Further to my previous comment:

    Some blog readers may perhaps not be familiar with the tiny but very pretty small white orchid mentioned in my previous comment:

    For details, see: http://www.first-nature.com/flowers/pseudorchis_albida.php
    and
    http://www.plant-identification.co.uk/skye/orchidaceae/pseudorchis-albida.htm

    Yesterday, I saw five small white orchid plants blooming on one local site. Today, just one remains. There are sheep nearby....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Many thanks for the comments. I feel suitably chastened, and will certainly take more care in future as to how I identify locations when I'm dealing with threatened species. To this end I have added the SNH 'species action' link to my list and will check it when I find something which may be unusual.

    There is a fine line to be trodden between the need to protect endangered species by hiding them, and the need to encourage the good-hearted and interested citizens - who far outnumber the criminal - so they can enjoy the beauty of their countryside.

    But for a website like mine, where I am starting from a position of woeful ignorance and learning, it's good to know that I have people out there who will correct me, in the kindest possible way, when they feel I err.

    Jon

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dave McFadzean Moniaive19 June 2012 at 14:24

    It's a particularly fine line sometimes in writing Jon. I write about a lot of special places and have come in for my fair share of criticism at times, eg a particular Motor Caravan article on Ardnamurchan. You can't please all the people all the time. I hope my gentle criticism was taken in the spirit intended. I think your blog is braw and really look forward tae my daily look at your pages.

    ReplyDelete