Thursday 3 May 2012

Highland Council Election

From Jon Haylett

Elected representatives are a bit like teasels and fleas. Once you've got them, they're very difficult to get rid of.

As someone who once lived in a country which had little that resembled a democratic process, I've always voted in elections simply to remind myself that I'm lucky to live in a democratically run country. But today's Highland Council election brings all sorts of problems as there seems to be so little on which to separate the candidates. So I'm going to the polling station at lunchtime with little idea of whom to vote for - except that I'm putting -10 into the box next to Bren Gormley following his dismal failure to support us over the nurses.

Probably like everyone else, I haven't received any campaign literature through the post. I know that Bren Gormley came to the village - but only after he'd left - and that one other candidate called in at the Ferry Stores distributing leaflets - again, I didn't know he was coming.

Faced with eight candidates, in desperation I resorted to the page of last week's Oban Times, in which there was a brief statement from each. All said roughly the same thing, but two of them, Thomas MacLennan and Andrew Baxter, gave personal website addresses. So, of the eight, two have the idea that the way to reach out to the voters in this rapidly changing world is through their own website, both of which were quite interesting. It also suggests that they have some conception of how increasingly important the internet is becoming in out-of-the-way places like this. So I'm going to vote for them.

6 comments:

  1. Out here on the north coast, we've received no election literature whatsoever, from individual candiates or political parties. I haven't even received a polling card, although I filled in and posted the requisite electoral registration form, and pay Council Tax.

    There are so few of us out here, I don't think anyone cares.

    I do share your opinion of (hopefully) ex-Cllr Gormley, however.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I note that you lived in a country without democratic rule/process. In what ever country that was, did they put their older relations in a state run home, everthinging paid for, did they keep them at home with family, did they take advantage of grant schemes, 5 years & then I can sell on & make a good profit. Apply themselves as locals, to what ever area & imposed their own opinions, gave wrong applications of current & past history,or have we got it totally wrong?

    ReplyDelete
  3. As one of the candidates you refer to, this makes a fascinating read. The biggest problem with multi-member wards in rural areas is the geographical area they encompass. Unlike the sitting councillors, I was unable to campaign full-time during the election period with a business to run at the same time. I could have devoted four weeks to campaigning by employing extra staff but that is expensive. In addition to the areas I did hand deliver, I sent out a mailing to as many people as possible by post, but there is a limit to how much I can spend by law during an election - so a line has to be drawn somewhere.

    I think the key is for councillors to spend more time in between elections visiting remoter rural areas and listening to community concerns. It's is somethning I will be doing and will give you advance warning.

    Websites, Facebook and Twitter are all additional ways we can engage with these communities in addition to more traditional methods.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jon,

    Thanks for the kind words.

    I was that candidate who was in the shop with leaflets and I tracked down and spoke to some local members of the community council, while I as there. The ward is huge it is difficult to make an impact in the rural parts in the space of a few weeks, from a standing start on the last day to put in a nomination I am just delighted to be elected and I will be making regular visits to Kilchoan.
    I intend to keep and improve my website and use it as a means of communication, it was put together by my teenage son while I was out knocking doors.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's good to see that both of you were elected. Well done - and well done to Mr MacLennan Junior for putting together the website. If there's anything The Diary or its companion, the West Ardnamurchan News, can do to help you keep in touch with your electorate, please let me know. Jon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. politicians tell you what you want to hear ,I dont vote any more as they are only out to line their own pockets, and when it comes to any major dealings they are the best actors in avoiding getting involved ,but their displays of unity are classic, where are the stalwarts this nation used to have , now we are a nation of perpetual moaners ,and "Poor Me"

      Delete