Monday 21 May 2012

From Trevor Potts:

Yesterday, after a long struggle, I managed to get my boat engine started and avoid being photographed by The Diary. I thought those two achievements would be the highlight of my day but that was premature. A short way down the coast I found the lone kayaker who goes by the name of “The Diary” and I just happened to have my camera with me and turned the tables on him.

Later I decided to have a short walk at the “Anchorage”, to see if anything interesting had washed up from last weekend's gale. It was nice and calm and the tide was up so I anchored my boat to the rocks.

On the way back to the boat I came across an inquisitive mink who eyed me with a certain amount of suspicion. I had a piece of fish left over from baiting my crab pots (lost the pot in the gale, but that’s another story). I put the fish under a stone on a large rock near to where I had seen the mink and stationed myself with the sun behind me and waited. I was only about 3 metres from the bait, behind a rock. My head and shoulders were in full view as I balanced the camera on the rock. It took the mink all of 20 seconds to show itself, and this whole sequence took less than 2 or 3 minutes....





I thought I had fixed the bait so it would have to eat it on the rock but quick as flash it pulled the bait free and disappeared under the rocks to eat it.

Trevor runs the Ardnamurchan Campsite and Study Centre, website here.

2 comments: