Tuesday 28 February 2012

A River Walk - 1

From The Raptor

On a bleak grey Sunday morning I thought I'd take a walk along a river bank. I set off by slopping through the fields frequented by the Estate cows which made a very muddy sticky start, but the river was not far away. I decided to walk in a southerly direction heading towards Loch Sunart (although I wasn't going all the way to the loch). The river was quite swollen with all the rain we have had and was running fast in places and you could see how much higher it had been by the flattened grass along the banks. Spring must be nearing as there are some wild primrose clinging to the banks above the river.

Picking my way carefully I crossed from one bank to another making sure I had good foot holds to ensure I didn't take an early bath. Just a wee bit further along I picked up a bit of a pong on the air and soon found the cause, the remains of a young deer which had either fallen from the not too high rock it lay beneath or had just given up to the inclement weather we have been having. Either way as you can see it has been making good eating for other wildlife, helping sustain the chain of natural life which goes on in the wild. This also made me aware of how many bones I was seeing in the river, I suppose from many types of animal.

I soon came to an area of high banks and twists and bends allowing trees to grow in the relative shelter provided by the high banks, it was there that I spotted a small flock of fieldfares and one redwing making the best of what's left of the autumn berries. A robin was chattering away in the trees making sure I kept moving along.

Soon the river widened a bit and the ground flattened out allowing a more even flow.

It was then that I moved on and then came across this tenacious tree clinging to the vertical rock wall, amazing considering I had already walked past fallen trees in much more sheltered areas that had given way to all the severe storms that we have had this winter.

Good luck to it.




Soon the river began to make a bit more noise as the banks closed in and the ground began to fall away allowing the river to pick up speed as the first waterfalls neared. I had to leave the rivers shore as the first of the steep sided gorges came into view. The river was lost to sight below and flowed onwards towards the loch about a mile or so ahead.

Just before I go does anyone know what this bright orange fungus is?

Part 2 of The Raptor's walk follows tomorrow.

4 comments:

  1. Dave McFadzean Moniaive28 February 2012 at 16:10

    Nature note fae the deep sooth for Raptor Ricky: Looks like it could be: Yellow Brain Fungus.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yellow brain fungus, tremella mesenterica

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheers for that, is that the stuff my heids fu o.

    The Raptor

    ReplyDelete
  4. In the Netherlands we say 'Gele trilzwam' (Yellow vibrating mushroom).
    It turns orange when the mushroom dries out. It's edible but not tasty (and you don't get stoned....).
    Peter

    ReplyDelete