Friday 26 November 2010

The Crow Bar

Here's a sad story:

"If anybody in our area is in need of a helping hand then they will always get it from any of our good-natured locals, but yesterday some person we think took a wrong turning at Ockle ended up on the track to Ockle Bay where they got well and truly stuck.

"Round about the same time, a crow bar that was supporting a door at Ockle went missing. Later on that evening it was found chucked to the side of the track where it had been used to lift up some boulders to put under the car, which was then obviously able to reverse back to the road and continue its journey.

"Nobody minds lending out gear but, if you do borrow something even without the owner's consent, please have the good manners to put it back where you found it."

This little story is in such contrast to the Diary post back in August called Working Together.

3 comments:

  1. We have many people up to stay with us in Kilchoan who come from "big cities" and they are amazed when we leave the keys in our car and the door unlocked when we go out. It's such a shame when others come to the peninsula with values so out of kilter with local custom and practice. I remember speaking to some French visitors at the jetty who were amazed that boats and outboards were left unchained overnight - it made me realise how lucky we are. Chris G

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Chris -

    Yes, it's one of the joys of this place that people trust each other and that property is still respected. The only crime I'm aware of during the 15 years we've been here was a break-in at the surgery, when drugs were taken by a visitor, the theft of some tins of paint, and the 'disappearance' of a bag of coal from a pensioner, which caused fury in the village.

    Jon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aah I may be able to shed some light on this. Last week a chap from Dundee came to do some work at my house. About an 2 hours after his expected arrival he called me to say he had taken a wrong turn and got his car stuck on a track leading to Ockle bay and could I help him out.

    I duly packed my little girl Matilda into the car and drove up to see if I could give him a tow.

    He was in a right pickle when I arrived but I was able to hitch him to the 4 wheel drive and tow him out. Goodness knows how he got himself into that position but he had basically written his car off.

    At no time did he mention borrowing a crow bar and I didn't see one lying around but the coincidence seems far too close to be anyone else.

    All I can say on his behalf is that I don't feel there was any ill intention but more like a chap who in the heat of a sticky situation simply being too relived to be free to remember that he had borrowed the crow bar. No excuse but mitigation maybe?

    I am sure that he would extend his apologies if he knew the concern it caused.

    If the owner of the crowbar would like his contact details I am sure I can get them for them.

    ReplyDelete