Tuesday 22 June 2010

Ducks and Drakes and Things

A few weeks ago, on my morning walk to the shore with my dog Jax, he got there first only to be dive-bombed by two shelducks. I soon saw why - seven tiny babies bobbing in the bay. What a wonderful sight. We made a hasty retreat and stayed away from the area near the jetty, where they were nesting, for a few days. Sadly over the next week, one baby disappeared, then another. Now the family is quite used to Jax and sit happily on a rock and watch his antics in the water. When they take to the water, Mother leads the now five babies, and Father acts as "out-rider". They are brilliant parents and I do hope that they stay around for a while. Jon's photo shows the babies with fluff, but today I saw them looking sleek with adult feathers - miniatures of their parents.

Recently a seal came right in at the mouth of the Millburn, an unusual sight, but it was probably attracted to the little fish which are coming up the burn. They could be salmon or sea-trout, but they are certainly very active in what is left of the water. We are in drought conditions having had no significant rain for many weeks. Despite this, a female mallard with five babies is living up the Millburn. I only see her occasionally through the trees. No sign of the male, maybe he was the one I found dead a while back.

Could not believe my eyes one morning when, at the high tide mark, I saw a beautiful sea-urchin. It was dead of course, so I took it home and cleaned it out. Amazing that such a lovely shell could house such an ugly creature!!

Pat MacPhail

No comments:

Post a Comment