Saturday 19 December 2009

Paddling

Kayaking has become a huge part of my life, and has opened many doors, including making new friends and adventuring in the wilds of Scotland. The flame was first lit in Kilchoan, and it encouraged me back home at the weekends when I boarded weekly at Lochaber High School. From exploring west along the coast from Ormsaigbeg, awed by the towering cliffs and views of the Atlantic horizon, to short but exhilarating trips into Kilchoan Bay when the sea turned choppy, to competing at Ardnamurchan Regatta Day, paddling was quickly becoming my chosen sport.

So after about six years of sea kayaking with my parents, I decided to take my hobby further by joining Edinburgh University Canoe Club in my second year. EUCC introduced me to some of my best friends, and to the art of whitewater kayaking. Scotland boasts some amazing whitewater – perhaps there are some little rivers in Ardnamurchan just waiting to be discovered by keen paddlers.

I have discovered a whole side to Scotland I had never seen before. Glen Etive was always just a little road leading off from Glencoe, but now the word “Etive” brings to mind possibly the most exciting, fun river Scotland has to offer.

Despite my introduction to a whole new side of kayaking, I will never forget where my love was born. Sea kayaking in Kilchoan will always remain one of my favourite things to do when I come home.

Thanks to Matthew Lowe for the middle photo.

RLH

No comments:

Post a Comment